The Human Rights Centre of the University of Sarajevo is an organisational unit of the University. It was founded with aim to provide University with a possibility to organise and enable itself for the confident and expert realisation of international human rights.
Its mission is to contribute to the implementation of international human rights through information dissemination processes and providing necessary documentation, lectures, expert advice, research and reporting and publishing relevant materials.
The Centre is an interdisciplinary body and is co-operating with other similar institutions, non-governmental organisations and national and international bodies dealing with human rights issues. Its activities include national as well as international domain.
According to its mandate, the HRC cannot provide direct, concrete and legal protection to individuals who raise allegations about human rights violations. The HRC is not in a position to address governmental institutions in order to deal with the mentioned violations. The HRC staff will direct individual cases to relevant organisations and institutions.
The Centre realises following tasks:
- Education and training, documenting and informing, research and consulting, that is:
- Achieving international human rights through informing and providing necessary documentation, lectures, giving expert advice, research and reporting;
- Interdisciplinary co-operation with other similar institutions, non-governmental organisations and national and international bodies dealing with human rights issues.
- Assistance in obtaining academic degrees in human rights, on the basis of existing courses, together with University of Sarajevo high-level education institution
- Providing intellectual focus to all University of Sarajevo high-level education institutions staff
- Realisation of education projects in the field of human rights, organising seminars, round tables and other activities with the aim of promoting academic work;
- Library activities: assisting in research projects in the field of human rights, assisting lecturers through providing information, knowledge and resources supporting student-researchers in their study process and providing and delivering information skills developing programmes, providing information and materials in assisting researchers, professors and other managers in decision-making process, giving the opportunity for career development and providing services, contributing to academic local community life.
- Engaging experts in the field of human rights;
- Providing financial and material support for the Centre's work and its development,
- Dealing with other activities related to accomplishment of the Centre's main tasks.